Thank you for the course as it got me my perfect job. It's working as a trainee reporter for Splash News Agency in London writing celebrity news articles.
Sophie Eager, Splash News Agency
Certificate in Sub-Editing
If you already have journalism skills and want to add subbing to your portfolio, then we have your perfect solution
Professional sub-editing courses, leading to the subbing exam.
First class sub-editors are always in demand
All over the UK and internationally, sub-editors are the glue that binds press offices together. A sub-editor's choice of layout can make or break a page.
Reporters and editors rely on a decent sub to balance incoming stories, so that readers will stick with it, front page to back.
After being made redundant I took the part-time course in sub-editing to improve my skills. The course offered plenty of work experience opportunities and through an initial placement on the Mail On Sunday YOU magazine I managed to secure a paid position as a sub-editor on the Metro after just two weeks.
Sub-editing is important
Who are these courses for?
- Reporters who want to learn the extra skills of subbing
- People already working in newspaper offices who would like to switch to an editorial role
- Editors and contributors to newsletters, other publications or websites
- PR, media, communications professionals who want to add subbing to their skill set.
What do they cover?
- Understand the crucial role of a sub-editor in print and online
- Write accurately and with clarity
- Balance stories
- Attract your reader's interest
- Sub for features, picture stories, page leads, anchor stories and letters
- Design page layouts using Adobe InDesign
- Use the full IMPACT of typography
- Write attention-grabbing headlines for print and online
- Write perfect picture captions
- Learn print and online techniques
- Proof read and master the main proofing symbols
Full-time sub-editing course February 2017
- Seven consecutive days of intensive subbing tuition, plus an exam day
- Take a week off work and concentrate on all the skills you need
- Ideal for anyone living too far from Brighton to commute- come and stay in Brighton for a week and update your skills
- Small classes
- Prepare for the Sub-editing exam
£950 including VAT and exam fees. Email or call us for more information
Find out more by clicking a link below...